Can Your Home Insurance Policy Stand Up To The Weather?

Share Now


Can your home insurance policy stand up to the weather? storm damage pictureDoes your home insurance policy cover you against damage from high winds? Will your insurance company pay out to repair damage caused when your plumbing freezes? How much will you have to pay out of pocket for repairs if heavy snow takes out your rain gutters or damages your roof?

If you’re not sure of the answers to those questions, it might prove enlightening to pull out your home insurance policy and have a read. Or call us for an independent insurance policy review.

Unfortunately too many homeowners find out what their insurance policy does and doesn’t cover after they have incurred a loss and submitted a claim. That’s the case for many homeowners who suffered damage to their homes during the high winds who found, to their shock, that they’d be bearing the brunt of the repair bills from their own pockets.

In fact, the most recent figures suggest that over one third of homeowners have no home insurance at all, and many more are paying out for policies that don’t adequately cover the damages that they might face from adverse weather.

Home insurance policies vary widely on precisely what weather damage they cover, and how much you’re expected to pay out before the insurance company will pay its share. That’s why it’s important to sit down with your your broker or an insurance claims expert such as Insurance Claim Solutions – to discuss precisely how much coverage you have for weather-related damages, and if there are limits and exclusions to that cover. Some of the most common exclusions and limits can include:

Water damage from burst pipes

burst pipeWatch for limits on the amount of damages you can claim if your pipes freeze and burst. A burst pipe in your loft can quickly damage walls and ceilings, and result in unhealthy growth of mold and mildew if not cleaned properly. The cost of all those repairs can easily and quickly mount above typical limits on damages.

Contents cover

DSC_1038If you only have buildings insurance, you may find yourself out of luck when damage to your roof results in the destruction of your expensive draperies, carpets and furnishings. Even if you carry cover for your home contents, you may want to carry extra insurance if you own expensive items like Oriental rugs or fine artwork.

Damage from floods

Flood defencesIf you live in an area with a high possibility of flooding, you may need to purchase separate cover to deal with damage from flooding. It’s vital that you not neglect this, say insurance spokesmen. The cost of repairing damage after a flood can easily run to €30,000 or more.

Outdoor and garden items

home damaged by windMany policies only cover items inside your home from weather damage, while other policies will even pay to replace plants damaged by storms in severe weather. If you’re an avid gardener, or have outdoor patio , a greenhouse or expensive garden equipment, consider a policy that includes garden cover.


Home Insurance Policy Review Service

Insurance Policy Review ServiceBe sure to conduct your home insurance policy review periodically to be certain that you’ve kept it up to date, especially when you make new purchases or add an extension to your home.

Call us today for an independent review of your home insurance policy cover and make sure you are protected.



want more advice on an insurance claim

Insurance Claim Solutions is a registered and regulated insurance claim loss assessor. If you have suffered a financial loss – then contact us today to ensure you receive the best possible financial outcome.